A shelter in the time of storm

  The other night storms rumbled through our area. I was shaken awake and went numb to my toes as always happens when I am suddenly awakened. As usual with each clap of thunder one of the boys woke up or stirred. Needless to say I was not sleeping for an hour or two. As I lay there and watched the lightening in the sky I was overwhelmed at the power and magnitude of nature. I was laying there holding Charlie and I started to pray. I always end up in deep prayer in storms. I realize every time I find myself in the middle of a storm just how powerful and strong nature is and still how God has every little drop of rain in His control. I prayed over and over for the Lord to keep my family safe. The next day I was thinking how shallow I was, how ashamed I should be. I waited until danger was on us before I was truly humbled in prayer.
  Then, again, as the news came to me of the death of a young Deputy with a wife and expectant child, I broke down. Once again I was reminded of just how powerful God is, and how precious and fragile life is. I prayed for my family and their safety. I thanked God for them over and over.
  Why? Why do I wait until I am in a storm or faced with tragedy to ask God to intervene? The Lord is great, and His plan is much greater than mine. My hope is that I might have strong faith, but be able to ask for God's hand to work in my life ALL the time, not just the hard times.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;

Post a Comment