A Wonderous, White Christmas







Every year somehow I seem to get so busy around Christmas that I forget to slow down and love the times. With so many different families, and so many different homes to visit I am usually looking back and thinking, "Man, what just happened?" This year was very different. You see, I think I did most of my stressing before Christmas, and I ended up having a wonderful time.
We started out on Wednesday when Chris, Marti, and Ivy came to stay with us. The kids had a great time, and Charlie was really sad on Christmas Eve when he realized Ivy did not come home with him.
On Friday, the boys and I packed the car and set out for a day of fun.
We went to Matney to see my mom. Oh my goodness at the wildness that unfolded. As soon as the kids hit the door Charlie was wired. He made multiple laps around her circle chasing Grant with a toy machine gun. We ate and opened gifts, then assembled them. We had a great time with Nanny and Paw Jimmy.

After that we moved to Bethel to Carter and Beth's for the Ward meal and gifts. It was wonderfully crowded this year with because everyone was there. Charlie ran a muck here too, but somehow became a party pooper when pictures started snapping. After talking for about 2 hours nonstop we packed up the car and went to my sister's. Since I was in highschool we have made it a tradition to spend Christmas Eve playing cards until way too late, and eating so much that inevitably one of us ends up sick. Kendall and Grant made Charlie feel at home with lots of entertainment that ended with three very sleepy children.


Christmas morning was great. We had to wake Charlie up, but after he overcame his "Ward Morning Grouchies" he was so excited. We ate breakfast and simply enjoyed each other. No TV, no phone calls, no stress, just US. The snow had started by now, so the morning was perfect. We left and went to my Dad's. Here, yet again, Charlie seemed to create a ruckus. The kids loved each other, and we all enjoyed seeing the wrestle Casey's new puppies in the living room. We enjoyed our time together. Then, we loaded up for my Nana's. Too much food, talking too loud, and a lot of laughing. We enjoyed each other, I think, more than any year I can remember. Nana and Paw both seemed to be feeling pretty good, and I was able to stop and thank the Lord for our moments with them. We ended our holiday with a visit to Jamie's parents. The weather was a bit frightful, but we made it and Charlie racked up on some much appreciated goodies. We had to leave earlier than planned due to the weather, but as soon as Charlie hit the car he was asleep.....

Our rush ended with just the three, well, four of us, in the car. The snow was falling, and the cheesy music was playing. I really took time to think about how lucky we are. Lots of things in our lives aren't smooth. We could have complained about a lot of things that didn't go just right, but Jamie and I have found that nothing means more than being thankful. We have more than we need, and much much more than we deserve. Our Christmas was merry.

Post a Comment