They Tell Their Stories.....




“I tell my story so that they might tell the next generation.” Sara Atzmon, Holocaust Survivor


Over the passed year I'd say, Jamie and I have become interested even more than usual about World War II history. I'm far from a history "buff," but I've always enjoyed learned and hearing about experiences. I've known a few veterans, and I can agree that they truly make up the "greatest generation."


Anyway...Jamie and I watched the HBO mini series, "The Pacific." I STRONGLY suggest you add this to your Netflix queue today! After the series ended I read the story of a man depicted in the film, E.B. Sledge. With the Old Breed, was written by himself after the war. Without details, I will say that this simple minded man wrote an extraordinary tale of bravery, pride, and dedication that my own generation has lost. I can't help but think about lines from his book so often. Now, as our world is in such chaos, I am able to think of Sledge, and common men just like him, who gave so much, and would have given more so that my boys can grow up in the safety of this nation. I loved this novel because he was just that.....a common man. He is an e
xample of the true strength a human being can have when they are thrown into horrific circumstances. Although this novel found me crying more than once, I also found myself reaching for a highlighter every other page. Even now, I find myself rereading parts that I found inspiring. It is not for the faint at heart, but it IS for those who enjoy an honestly written biography.

After I read this book, which happened quickly, I moved to the Western Front. I picked up a book recommended by my sister. Sometimes these are books I love, but sometimes I wonder, "Why did she want to depress me?" Those Who Save Us, is a fiction novel about a German woman living in Germany during the Reich. She had a young daughter and did whatever it took to keep them alive. What made the book so appealing was that it was written from the research her daughter did. I became friends with the author online, and she recommended the book that I really wanted to share, Jack and Rochelle.

I can't tell you much, but this is a love story in the truest sense. No false romance or ridiculous situations. This is a hardcore story about two Jews from Poland who lived during the Russian and Nazi occupation. They were forced to live in the wilderness while fighting with the resistance groups. They fought not only for basic human rights, but to end avenge the deaths of those they loved, and to hold tight and protect the ones they still had. Oh my....it was wonderful. Hard to read at times, but I have to say, I am a better person for reading it. A daughter interviews her mother and father, and the story is told directly by Jack and Rochelle. No edits, just their stories.

Although all three of these novels are very different, they all left a huge impression on what it means to sacrifice for something you love and to forget about the things that don't matter in life. I struggle with this daily on a much smaller level. I've never been faced with enduring battle's dangers or leaving loved ones behind to protect others. These novels truly made me thankful for my freedoms and for the country I am able to enjoy. The petty things I let flood my life sometimes truly are nothing to the things this generation endured.

This isn't a typical post, but I've been wanting to share these with my friends for a while. I know in the next few months my reading time will be lost, so I wanted to make sure someone out there is carrying on :)

"Until the millennium arrives and countries cease trying to enslave others, it will be necessary to accept one's responsibilities and be willing to make sacrifices for one's country - as my comrades did. As the troops used to say, 'If the country is good enough to live in, it's good enough to fight for. With privilege goes responsibility.' "
Eugene B. Sledge (With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa)



Post a Comment