Our Rusty




      When I was about 10 our family lost their home in a house fire. My room was upstairs, so there were a few things that were salvaged. I remember getting some items back from the cleaner. This old brown "Rusty-bear" was one of them. I wasn't especially attached to Rusty when I was young, but after he survived the fire I felt like he was extra special. He traveled with me through several moves, and ended up in a box of sentiments that I had hoarded. I was moving some things around several years ago when I found him. I was expecting Charlie at the time, so I unpacked him and put him in Charlie's room. When he was born he grew to love Rusty, and even more when I was expecting Brady. We changed him into baby clothes, gave him a diaper, and he used Baby B's seats before he came. This helped Charlie become even more excited about a little baby coming. Now it is Brady's turn. Rusty has been the root of so many fights because they both want him to be somewhere else. He has been shot down, lightsabered, run over by old McDonald's tractor, drank apple juice, rocked to sleep, doctored, used the potty, rode in the wagon, and snuggled by two very sweet boys. I love him, and I am glad they do too. I am not so sure what I will do when they both decide to leave and take him.......maybe he will just live with me :)






Post a Comment