My Village

So....I've had this joke with some closer family and friends for a while now that I am seriously considering creating a village. My own, by invitation only.

If you've never seen the movie, The Village, by the odd, but interesting
M. Night Shyamalan, then you are missing out (** Attention: This blog contains serious movie spoilers, so if you intend to watch it maybe wait and read another time) I am pretty sure this movie is placed in the Horror genre, but isn't horrific at all.

In brief, then I will move on, the movie is about a village appearing to be in the 1800's. It is surrounded by very dense woods, these woods are inhabited by vicious and mysterious monsters (fictitious by the way). The members of the village never stray into these woods. The village is "governed" for lack of a better word, by a small group of elders. Lots of actions, turns, and holding of the breath but.....in true Shyamalan style, it turns out that these elders created this "Village" by purchasing a vast woodland within a wildlife preserve, building massive walls around it, bringing their very small children in and raising them to believe they can't venture out. They decided to make this village because those that they loved the most in their lives had been touched by violence and death. This is actually present day. These families have been touched by the horror and violence of this world, so together they found the solution was choosing people like themselves to create a world for their families free from these dangers, together, with those that love them. Click here to see a clip from the movie, or just watch below. Be sure to stop the music playing on the left side if you are hearing it play.



Anyway......really think about this. I mean, beyond the strange Hollywoodness. Could you imagine starting over? Taking those closest to you, those that you love the most, and running? Locking out the world, locking out everything else? Creating your own world? I know several of you think this is terrible. "Children not being able to see anything 'diverse.' Being brainwashed and forced to live a certain way. How narrow-minded. How awful," some of you would say. Maybe they are right, but me, well, I've been giving this idea thought. Of course this isn't possible in reality, but I do enjoy entertaining the idea.

If given this opportunity, would I do it? Perhaps. I can't help but joy in the idea of walking away from the stresses created by our society and culture and the "spiritual wickedness in high places" Ephesians 6:12.  Of course more troubles would come along, I know this, but would it possibly be worth the sacrifices to protect my boys and the ones I love? There are so many worries and hurts touching my family that I just can't do anything about, but in this "Village" perhaps I could. I don't care what people say, 100 years ago times were better. Families loved harder. Faith grew stronger. Little things meant more.

Don't know. Just wanted to pose this idea. Gives me something to imagine while this world falls to pieces. Of course, I'd never be able to do this for real because Blogger would ultimately be banned from my Village, BUT if one day you notice that all of the normal people in my life are missing, well, they are probably harvesting crops in my Village :)

Marti  – (September 16, 2011 at 8:35 AM)  

I love you because you are just as crazy as me. :) Maybe crazier...can Huey Lewis live in the village?

Heather  – (September 16, 2011 at 2:20 PM)  

Ummm...Huey plays 24/7 over the loud speaker throughout the village.

Post a Comment