Where was I?

10 years ago I was sitting in the Peace and War classroom of one of the most honorable Veterans I've ever known. As the events unfolded I saw the solemn, but very defiant look on his face. He knew what this meant, and he recognized the hatred and danger behind these cowardly acts. He recognized acts of war. I was innocent and naive. I'd never been "at war." I'd live the spoiled life for 17 years, and had no idea what was in store. But he did. I also sat in this classroom with two boys who had signed with the Marines already. I saw the looks on their faces. They knew what was coming. Again, I was innocent and naive, and even then didn't realize how my world had been changed, and how many lives were changed in an instant. They did.

I've always considered myself a patriot. I was raised bleeding red, white, and blue, and because of men like Mr. Jones, I knew bits of the horrors of war, and I knew the necessity of them. Until 9/11/01, I had no idea these horrors could touch my land. Where was I 10 years ago? I was in a different time. Physically and at heart. I was carefree and confident. I was safe. 9/11 changed me, forever. I've watched the flashbacks, I've vowed to never forget, I've vowed to show my boys the frailty of peace. The one thing I will never, ever forget wasn't on 9/11, it was on the days after. I felt a unity that was greater than political views, greater than where you lived, greater than your accent, greater than the money you made, it was a unity of the brokenhearted, of Americans. I'll never forget feeling for the first time, like our country was united. This faded, but for a time I remember.

Today, and often on many other days, I will stop and thank the Lord for my country, those protecting it, my liberties, my safety. I'll pray for the comfort of those who are missing loved ones today and everyday.

Where was I? I suppose I was being changed. In one simple day I realized the horrible acts that mankind was capable of, but I also saw the unselfishness, love, and sacrifice my fellow countrymen held.

“Now, we have inscribed a new memory alongside those others. It’s a memory of tragedy and shock, of loss and mourning. But not only of loss and mourning. It’s also a memory of bravery and self-sacrifice, and the love that lays down its life for a friend–even a friend whose name it never knew. “
- President George W. Bush, December 11, 2001

Post a Comment