Our Liberators

Appropriately enough, last night I turned the last page on one of the most moving and touching books I have ever read, The Liberators. I can't say, though that I recommend anyone to read it. It really hit my heart hard. I had lots of dreams, and actually had to put it down a few times. Worth it? Absolutely. The book was a huge collaboration of interviews with the men of "The Greatest Generation" as they retold the stories of how they were part of liberating the Third Reich's concentration camps. I won't go into details, but I will say that it gave me an entirely new take on men and women we call "Veterans."

As I filled out my annual Veteran's day cards for those few Veterans close to me, my hand shook a couple times. I got teary. Honestly. I am not "Pro War." I am a "war is never good, but sometimes necessary." Veterans day, to me, isn't a debate of war, right or wrong, left or right, liberal or conservative. It doesn't matter. Each and every one of us owes more than we can repay to each and every individual who went into war to ensure the freedoms my children are graced with. I can't possibly begin to imagine the sacrifices these veterans have given, I can't imagine the sacrifices that the families of these veterans have given. It's so easy to forget that liberty isn't an absolute. It isn't a guarantee. It's a gift. Thank you is so small, useless to these hearts scarred by war. Still, it seems it is all I can ever say.

Thank you to all of the men and women, from all of the generations. You are the reason I am able to raise my children with the values of my choice.  You have made this country the greatest in the world.


My favorite presidential quote of all time:
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
Ronald Reagan
 
May God bless our Veterans, today and always. 


Anonymous –   – (November 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM)  

I just read the past 5 blogs on here. I love them all and I love all of you!

Heather  – (November 14, 2011 at 8:50 AM)  

Thanks, Chasity! We love you guys, and can't wait to see you soon :)

Post a Comment