Worth Celebrating

In tradition with EVERY. SINGLE. FOURTH OF JULY. EVER. this year my favorite holiday was threatened to be dampened by some stressful event. I am determined to never ever let that happen, so this year I battled rain, floods, storms, grouchy boys, and liberals to spend the day celebrating my freedoms and the birthday of America.

Tiff and I always hit the Banner Elk parade and festival with Mom, but this year Mom wasn't able to come because she was away, Tiff's driveway flooded, and I wasn't about to drive across county in the downpours. Instead, Jamie and I loaded up two very handsomely dressed boys with cool handmade hats, (although I have no good pictures because that was a feat I wasn't able to make) and hauled ourselves to downtown Boone. Hated the parade. I was immediately reminded of why I never go. I managed to avoid the liberal plagues as they passed our way. The boys saw the firetrucks and horses, and that made it worth it. As we drove home, Jamie and I quickly revamped our gameplan.... this rain was rediculous, so we treked down the mountain toward the sunshine, and into Wilkesboro's downtown movie theatre. We ate tremendous amounts of popcorn, and almost suffered death by Sprite, but we loved the new Despicable Me movie. Jamie and I had as much fun as the little guys. We blared our annual Patriotic CD, compliments of my sister :) And headed home. We decided to try to catch the Tweetsie fireworks because those were the only ones we found online to be on for sure in the storms. We swung by and grabbed a pizza and some juice boxes. Under a huge golf umbrella in a crowded parking lot, we ate together, laughed, and memories were made. As the lightening started, Jamie thought quickly and stuffed the boys and the blankets through his back glass, and we all snuggled into the truck and caught a few small fireworks through the rain. The boys fell asleep as we pulled out, but Jamie and I stopped to see Boone's display on our way through. It was so nice. The whole day. Nobody's going to rain on my parade. Literally. With a trooper of a husband and two boys with no choice, we made the day wonderful, and were able to appreciate the freedoms that were fought so hard for.






God has Blessed America.
and
God has Blessed Me.

Unknown  – (July 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM)  

You and Jamie are wonderful parents, the rest of us would have packed it up and called it a day.

Post a Comment