Our Oye-Oye is 21

"Cousins are those rare people who ask how we are, and then wait to hear the answer."
Ed Cunningham





So, 21 years ago I had the Chicken Pox. Terrible I know, but so much worse for me than most. My mom told me that my Aunt Myra had just had a baby, Marissa. I was so excited. Then she told me I could not see her or be near her. Well, that rotten little baby was already spoiled before I saw her.

There are few people in the world, and this I have found to be utterly true, that don't run when things gets cloudy. They don't avoid you when they know you are going to unload your stresses on them. They don't scream when you ask them for a favor that is ridiculous. They smile, they do it, and they love you anyway. Marissa is that one. She was the one that screamed until she cried when I told her I was pregnant, and was right there to hold them after they came. She didn't rush off like the others after seeing them. She sat right beside me and said, "So, what do you guys need?" She made my boys countless sentiments, contributed to my Cheermeister festivities, learned to stalk parking spaces beside me, painted faces, ran to my car with me in a tornado....no joke, she was there. I know that no matter where my life goes, she will be with me. Right here. 

When Charlie stared talking one of his first words was, "Oye oye oye." ????? I was so confused. Until......we realized that he was meaning, "Marissa." Sounds nothing the same, but he knew her and he loved her enough to give her a special name.

Today we celebrate 21 years that I have survived after the Chicken Pox.....oh, and Marissa's birthday. I hope that Oye Oye has a special day, and I hope she knows how much she means to this absent minded mother and her two wild and out of control boys.


Happy Burfday, Rissa!!!






Post a Comment