Camping in Cherokee

Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy. - Guillaume Apollinaire


Jamie and I have been caught in the rush. We've had so much going on the past months, parties, birthdays, home improvements, appointments, and on....one night we finally decided we needed to get away. I am NOT I repeat, NOT a fan of hotels and young children. Just too much to worry and stress over. For years now on and off Jamie has talked about his childhood summer visits to the Cherokee Indian Reservation camping. Turns out his old stomping grounds has new owners and is awesome. We booked our site, threw everything we own in the truck and went to Happy Holidays Campground. Charlie was so excited to get to "The Camping Ground." I was so excited when we pulled in. Jamie slung the tent up in no time flat, and we hit the pool wide open. All of us. It was so much fun. We also fished in the pond. Charlie actually caught and reeled in his first fish all by himself! Unfortunately I was not one of those rocking outdoorsey women who whipped out a four course meal on a skillet or open flame, so we ate out at dinner. Jamie and I were nervous just because it was a first for our family, you know, all of us in a tent, outside, not in our yard. It went perfectly. I slept better than I usually do with 3 boys in my Queen sized bed. :)  Charlie played with his light-sabers in the tent until he literally fell over. Not lots of marshmellow roasting until later in the weekend. We crashed. We spent some time looking and shopping in town on and off all weekend. Charlie and Brady got an indian souvenir. Charlie got a bow and arrow and a knife (which by the way, he appointed Jamie the official "knifer" and shared with only him) and Brady got a drum. Charlie shot everything within 15 yards of the tent including ducks, which I think offended our PETA seeming neighbors, but cracked me up. Brady also busted some moves while beating the drum. While we were there the campground had live music. The boys loved it. Brady clapped and danced while Charlie slowly made his move toward the gameroom. We walked a lot. The boys loved riding in the wagon, and it put B to sleep 90% of the time.

Fun, fun. Yes. It was the most fun I have had in as long as I can remember. We smelled (although we did shower) we were leafy, I had terrible hair, and we never sat down. When we loaded up and were driving up the mountains home I had a few silent minutes. I realized then how special these days had been. Just us. Just our family. We left as much of the world behind as possible. We enjoyed each other. Time slips away too quickly, and I know this precious time spent together won't last forever. We didn't rest....at all, but the time we spent laughing and romping together was priceless. I mean no amount of money could ever buy it. I was in love, all over again. Our tiny, messy tent was filled with more than grass and bugs. It's those moments no one understands and the ones that are too precious to even talk about.













Bottom line. We camped. We survived. We loved it.


Visit our family photo site to see all the pictures: Click here

Post a Comment