Morris Glass

Let me start by saying that I am certain that I know most everyone who will read this won't read it totally, and those who do probably will find it mundane and rambling, but my purpose in writing this is because months and years from now I want to remember just how heavy I felt after this time spent at Appalachian State's Holocaust Symposium. 

In a brief nut-shell, I am not a history buff, but I am a huge respecter and believer that in order to prevent history's mistakes, you  must educate yourself and your children in the past. Here is an article written in the Watauga Democrat Newspaper about Mr. Morris Glass. Mr. Glass was a teenage survivor of the Holocaust. I won't go into the details he spoke of at the Symposium or the details I read about in his book, Chosen for DestructionWhat I will say is that for over an hour I sat in a room filled with people of all ages, 12 to 90. Those from Florida, those from Deep Gap, those that were college graduates, and those who waited tables for the Symposium. Those obviously "free thinkers" with Bob Marley shirts, and those with buttoned up starched shirts and ties. It didn't matter who they were, because as this man began to speak with a thick Polish accent no one moved. No one. I found myself even holding my breath at times and seeing those around me do the same. It wasn't the horrors he told of, although they were difficult. It wasn't the tears he shed, those were hard too. It was the realization that an entire generation, stronger than anyone we know, is slowly slipping away. The words he spoke meant so little on paper, but to hear him draw in a breath and swallow back tears was priceless. Today's world is constant with fear, violence, and terror and my generation has become completely numb to it all. As Morris spoke he said, "The reason something like this can happen is when people began to think it can't." I am afraid that's where we are. I wanted to meet him so that my heart would know these horrible nightmares of history were true. I rode home is complete silence, I cried some, I thought a lot. It's been on my mind since Tuesday.
  His story was so empowering. It made me question my own character over and over. I know the things he went through would have broken me. I know I would never have come out with the inspiring character Mr. Glass has. If you ever have the chance to speak with someone from the greatest generation do it. Soon. Their stories on paper or film can't possible touch you like their voices. Attached is a video of a few short words from the proudest American I have ever had the chance to meet. He knows what a gift it is to live in the greatest country in the world, and he hasn't forgotten for a second what made it that way.
Click here to see the video.

wendy  – (July 21, 2012 at 1:10 PM)  

I would have loved to listen to this man! I can't even imagine what a powerful thing this had to have been listening to his story.

Post a Comment